2.24.2006

Heading for the Beach!

Tonight I was getting ready to go meet some friends for drinks, when my dad calls and asks, "How do you feel about going to Florida next weekend?" Let me back up one second...my dad is an accountant and there's some big deadline on March 1st before the really big April 15th date. He usually takes a small vacation before the 15th to relax and re-group before getting stressed out all over again. His original plan was to come see me in Boston. He hasn't been here yet to see my place, so we were going to hang out and have some quality father/daughter time. However, we both decided that we would rather go someplace warm, so my dad told me to pick the place and he'd foot the bill. Aren't I lucky?? So, I decided on Sanibel Island/Bonita Beach area. I've been to Naples, but not to any of the islands in the area. I think it will be nice and relaxing, probably not quite as warm as I'd like it, but I'll take 78 over 20 any day of the week and this point. (see last post for more on me and the weather!). So, that's that. I'm going to Florida in a week!!! I couldn't be happier.

Quite a good deal

A friend of mine is trying to quit smoking. We all are very into Behaviorism because of where we work and so he decided to make up a behavior plan for himself to make himself quit smoking. This is all very good for him because smoking is horrible for you, but it turns out that this plan will also work to my benefit. He's decided that I will be his manager and that every time he smokes, I get $3. This way, he's losing money by smoking and so it should become less and less reinforcing as time goes by. So far I've made $9 from this deal and I couldn't be happier. Therese gave me the good idea of saving some of the money so that in 3 months when hopefully he's kicked the habit, I can take him out to dinner to celebrate. The only other things that I have to do is try and talk him out of smoking when he gets urges and have a weekly meeting to go over things. Clearly, this is serious stuff. I just hope it works because I'm really not a big fan of smoking until your lungs turn black.

2 Comments:

Blogger jwkoncape said...

Thanks for the kind words on my blog. That's great about your trip to Florida. I almost froze running this evening. When the weather gets warm, thre are some wonderful road races on teh Cape.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi Abby- Florida will be a lot of fun and such a perfect getaway! I am thinking the March 1st deadline is when most company's are finalising their SEC filings (and SOX compliance) and earnings releases should be almost finished. None the less, that will be a great getaway!

That is a great your friend is trying to stop smoking. Your comment about 'smoking until your lungs turn black,' reminds me of what my grandmother always tells others. One of her husband's smoked (my mom's dad died when she was 7 of a heartattack) and she says that he died of barbecued lungs.... That is really a great idea about taking him to dinner with the money he pays you!

Have a great weekend!!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home