4.06.2006

More Lessons From Home

I've only been here for four days and I'm beginning to understand what drives people to eating disorders. Since my last visit home I've maybe lost about 1o pounds. Everyone that I've met up with while I've been home immediately compliments me on how great I look. I'll admit that I've been trying to eat healthier, and I'm sure my increase in exercise is also helping with the whole weight loss thing, but it's nothing I'm really intentionally doing. I just want to be healthy. However, I'm completely seeing how society reinforces us (and I think women especially) for losing weight and looking slimmer. Perhaps some of this just stems from the fact that I'm pretty self-conscious about my body and I don't really know how to deal with it when someone gives me a compliment. On the other hand, I'm getting sort of used to it and so it's kind of nice to come home and know that I really am making progress towards being more healthy.

Also, I've run into several parents of my friends from high school. I was really bad about keeping in touch with people and so some of these people I literally haven't seen in almost 5 years. The sad thing is is that they all seem so old. I can really see that people are aging. I hope that I don't look so old. All of a sudden these people that use to seem so young now have wrinkles and aren't quite dressing like the latest trends. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just makes me realize that I myself am also aging, and while I'm not really concerned about wrinkles and not looking fashionable, I am left wondering where has the time gone?

1 Comments:

Blogger jwkoncape said...

Dear friends, I have decided to move on to another blog, called Jim's Mindfulness Blog. It will be very similar, but with a greater emphasis on my Buddhist spiritual practice. At least that is my intention. Please feel free to stop by:
http://jimsmindfulnessblog.blogspot.com/

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home